There was a lot of nastiness in the game. Jarred Tinordi took 4 penalties and is definitely a mean-spirited player. He is 6 foot, 7 inches, can skate fairly well for a big guy, and when he body checks someone into the boards, they really rattle. I was standing right up against the glass the entire game, and more than once Tinordi destroyed someone right in front of me and I thought they were going to come right through the boards. If he continues to develop, Montreal will be extremely happy with Tinordi. I do not see him as an offensive guy at all, but he will be a terror to play against.
Wednesday, August 10, 2011
Habs Quick Hits - August 10
Some minor news updates for today that we felt were worthy of a post.
- Mike Cammalleri is attending a special camp run by trainer Jari Byrski this week.
Amongst others in attendance are Steven Stamkos, Jason Spezza, Jeff Skinner, Wojtek Wolski, and Adam Hall.
- Yesterday, Ron Wilson was named assistant coach of the Hamilton Bulldogs. We haven't discussed the move yet because we will have a spotlight feature on him tomorrow.
- Per Dave Stubbs on Twitter, the annual Montreal Canadiens golf tournament goes 5 weeks from today, meaning Wednesday, September 14th. This is well in line with our projected date for the opening of training camp, Friday September 16th, with the first pre-season game being on Tuesday, September 20th. Rookie camp will likely begin a week prior, so around Friday, September 9th. It's getting close folks!
- More updates on Jarred Tinordi from Team USA Camp: he WILL be in the line-up as the American team faces off against a Swedish U20 group tonight. He was paired with Adam Clendening during this morning's practice. This again bears well for his chances of making the WJC roster. See below a report from a user of HFBoards.com about Tinordi's previous game:
- An interesting piece from Eric Engels about the possible line-up scenarios for the Canadiens this season:
With 7 should-be "top 6" forwards on the team, training camp should make for some interesting experiments. Given that all of Brian Gionta, Erik Cole, and Andrei Kostitsyn are natural right wingers, my first instinct would be to have Kostitsyn on the third line with Lars Eller (and possibly shift David Desharnais to that trio as well on the wing), but either A.K. or Cole may be asked to switch sides to try other combinations.
- If you aren't aware of this site, check it out. Some great 100% legit photos of NHL players as kids, including many of Carey Price:
- Montreal police have concluded their investigation into Zdeno Chara's hit on Max Pacioretty, and whether or not actual criminal charges are laid against Chara is now up to prosecutors.
- Lastly (and perhaps most importantly), we will begin a series of weekly contests for Habs fans starting this Friday. Submissions will be open for a week and it is free to enter, but to do so, you must be following our Twitter account, @DailyCanadiens.
We will offer a prize for every week up till the start of the season, some of which include passes to the Canadiens Hall of Fame at the Bell Centre, a Pavel Datsyuk autographed Detroit Red Wings puck, vintage hockey cards, and more! Stay tuned for details this Friday!